Friday 7 November 2014

Lessons from the shadows

I just completed my second observation, this time in a Grade 2 classroom. I was given the opportunity to work closely with three students for short periods of time and what struck me most was the amazing diversity in learning styles and ways of engagement with the world, even at such a young age. I believe it is vital to never lose sight of the fact that engaging students and making them feel valued are two of the most important aspects of successful teaching.

I want to advertise a very interesting blogpost on the lessons that can be learned from shadowing and thus learning to think like a student, as it has strong relevance in terms of engagement and the avoidance of frustration I personally feel as a student. I particularly appreciate the reflection that movement is key to engaging students, as opposed to having them sit passively for the majority of their day, as their minds and bodies collectively stagnate. I also love the idea of a reading period prior to an examination, when all of the buzzing questions concerning the exam (minus the answers!) can be brought to the fore and discussed. The avoidance of confusion is key to limiting frustration.

The attachments are well worth checking out and include an overview of the author's shadowing process and a student survey you can use with your own students.

Thanks to Ron Sandland for sharing this article with my classmates and me.

http://grantwiggins.wordpress.com/2014/10/10/a-veteran-teacher-turned-coach-shadows-2-students-for-2-days-a-sobering-lesson-learned/

No comments:

Post a Comment